Friday, August 8, 2008

08-10 Aug 08

Sweetie Pie & Kids

I hope all is well with you all & that you are doing fine after the move. Have you received any mail from me at this point? I hope the letter w/ SS cards and birth certificates makes it to you ok (they did :). the army side of the mail is messed up here @ Ft. Knox.

Well, sweetie, I have a break here @ church. It is an on base church, and almost all of us here @basic or BCT ... basic combat training... or IET, which is initial entry training, I think. Anyway, it is quite different - only a 2 hr block. As for how the platoon is doing - it is up & down. We've actually won 2 competition streamers, which is apparently 1 away from locking up honor platoon. But there are still a lot of individuals in the platoon. The training is absolutely centered on teamwork. And think of what can be accomplished by 50 men working together!! But right now we probably have 1/2 of the platoon working together. I hope we get there soon.

As for how I'm doing, all is well. Much of the training is enjoyable. The physical side of it is good. the classroom settings are tough & generally boring, but I try to stay awayk & learn what I can. The hardest Part of BCT (besides getting 50 men of varying ages to work together ) is standing @ attention and/or parade rest for long periods of time. You cannot move and your feet get areal pounding.

Sweetie Pie, can you send me a $15-20 watch ASAP? There are only a few watches in the platoon. They wouldn't let us buy them at the PX for some reason. A timex from Walmart would be just dandy. A night light, stop watch & fabric band would be very much ideal & needed. Please send that with the socks (already sent the socks, and just sent the watch yesterday)

Oh, you'll be getting about $750 extra a month for living costs here soon. I think once you get those ID's (already done!) that will start. I don't know the time frame though. Also, you'll get $250/month separation pay, probably around the end of basic. It starts after the first 30 days. The question is will it come @ beginning of the month or at the end.

Well, I really ought to get to it. always stuff to do. Pray for me to continue to be healthy, able to absorb training, and to have the spirit as my constant companion. Profanity is always around me. In nearly every sentence said. No exageration. I'm blocking it out, but still...it wears on you. All is well - Love your more than anything and I'll see you soon!

Brent


_______________________


I hope all is well. I had a few minutes while I did some laundry. I also just got done doing guard duty. We did CLS or Combat Life Saving. I really enjoyed it. 90% of deaths occur in the field. If every soldier can do CLS, they figure the death toll would drop to 75% mortalities. Pretyy neat, eh? We have 2 more days of this classroom practicals.

Well, the whole company got "smoked" which is a physical punishment of hard exercise. To have the entire company (all 4 platoons) of 200 or so get smoked @ once - it was unusual. we were out there around 2 hours. They were hard workouts, but not a whole lot different from football 2 a days. I did my best, and got a great workout. This was on top of the PT we had this AM - about a 2 mile jog/sprint.

The days starts @ 0400. PT @ 0500. BFast @ 0600. It is now 2325 - so this is a typical day. very tiring. But good - I'm learning a lot. Of course missing you all a lot. Missing my Joe Joe's B-day is not cool.

Oh, on the PT, I'm probably in the top 30-40 of the company of 200 when it comes to being in shape. Good for me - sad for these kids being out of shape. And, on my watch, the one you are going to buy and send ASAP!, a "canvas" or webbed wristband would be the best. Also, please make sure it is not a chrome watch. it is a "sniper" magnet. Again, nothing expensive - ust 15-20 - stopwatch, backlight, and dark watch and webbing. Understand. Don't forget stamps and white tube socks as well.

Well, my eleys won't stay open much longer. Must sleep. Please keep me in your prayers. You all are in mine. Fell free to scan this in and email it to others, like my parents.

Love you - please pass around hugs for me and thanks to your parents.

Brent

0 comments: